Jan 18, 2012

New Year's Resolutions

What is it about a new year that makes you want to get your life in order?  Maybe it's the fresh start that a new year seems to bring, or maybe there are things that you want to change and a new year seems to be a great time to do that.  I used to make long lists of things I was going to work on.  Sometimes these lists would be on paper, sometimes just in my head, but usually I wouldn't accomplish much either way.  I realized with a young family, that my goals needed to be simple and few in number if I expected to accomplish them.  Now my kids are all in school, and I can accomplish more, but I still find that setting a lot of goals is rarely productive for me.  I have also learned to not feel discouraged if I don't accomplish all my goals.  Lets say I make a goal to read 20 books in a year, and I only read 5-isn't that better then nothing?  I always tell my kids to not give up on their scripture reading goals, because I would rather have them read 10 or 15 days in a month than not read at all.
So, I try to set a few goals that I WILL accomplish, and then a few goals that I would like to accomplish.  I have learned that even though I won't do everything on my "like to" list, I am better for trying.  Mostly I have realized though that setting goals is the way that I become a better person.  Without them I find myself wasting the precious time that I have been given.  So as I have been pondering what I would like to work on, these are a few of the things I have come up with.
WILL DO:
  • Read the Book of Mormon all the way through.  (This one is always on my list, the day is just better when I read from it's pages.)
  • Attend the temple 4 times a month 
  • Read at least two volumes of the Mortal Messiah
  • Finish Personal Progress and receive my second Young Women's medallion
  • Scrapbook pictures from 2011
LIKE TO DO:
  • Read at least 3 classics this year
  • Read Pres. Monson's biography
  • Finish Ashley's scrapbooks, Arches scrapbook, and another year of printed pictures
  • Paint Jared's room
  • Paint main floor bathroom/laundry room
  • Paint the deck
(Sometimes my like to do list includes things I have absolutely no desire to do, like paint anything.  However the painting projects should be done, even need to be done, so that is why they are on the list.)

1 comment:

  1. Annette, you have great goals! That is one thing I remember well and enjoyed from when you were Relief Society President--the spiritual goals we did. P.S. I will help you paint Jaredn's room (it is always more fun to do someone else's work!!)

    ReplyDelete