Jan 23, 2012

Birthday wishes to an amazing 15 year old!



Jared had surgery when he was 9 mos. old to fix the muscle in his eye.

Jared was born on a snowy January day 15 years ago.  I checked into the hospital that morning and by 1:00pm I had a healthy 8 lb baby boy.  Since today is his birthday I thought I would dedicate this post to him.  Jared was an easy baby right from the start.  He rarely cried, and often only woke up to eat.  (Eating is still a big part of his life).  He started sleeping through the night after about a month.  Interestingly enough the only time he really cried was when there was contention in the home.  He hated yelling and fighting.  This really hasn't changed...he is absolutely the peacemaker in our family.  I don't think I have ever heard Jared yell.  He does get upset and frustrated and you can tell that he is, but he keeps it in check.  He reminds me a lot of my Dad in that respect.  In fact his personality is a lot like my Dad's in general I think.  He is my go to guy when I need something done, because I know he won't complain.  He never complains about being sick either.  One time he had a raging fever and when I asked him how he was doing, he said he was fine.



We took him to Brazil with us when he was 15 months old to visit my parents.  He slept the entire flight, without Benadryl.  Oh how the Brazilians loved him.  His white blonde hair and big blue eyes caused quite the stir everywhere we went.  The long halls of the MTC in Brazil were a new walkers paradise, as he would take off running every chance he got.  His pleasant disposition could be deceiving though.  He was a trouble maker.  In one week's time he wrote all over a new couch with marker and painted our living room carpet yellow.  One time he painted his little sister and the family room carpet with fingernail polish, and another time he poked holes in the wall while he was waiting for the rest of us to be ready for church.  He was a bit accident prone as well-three sets of stitches and a concussion all before he was five.  I guess I wouldn't really call him accident prone just always on the go.   He loved balls, bikes, blocks, dirt and anything active.  Once I asked him to take a doll upstairs when he was little, he picked it up by the toe and carried it out away from him. 



He is a good student, a respectful son, and he is thoughtful.  He rarely does anything without thinking it through first.  I used to call him my "thinker" (like the Rodin sculpture), because even as a young boy he would put his hand on his chin and think things through.  He has a healthy appetite and will eat anything-including frosty's out of the garbage can at school, and gatorade that was found in a window well (yes it had already been opened).  I tell him not to do that and discuss how many germs might be in and on them, and he says, "Mom when do I ever get sick?"  Yeah well he has a point I guess.  Funny thing is though, he is the first to tell his younger brother to wash his hands and he is very neat and fastidious with his appearance, he just can't stand to see good food go to waste.




He doesn't like to be the center of attention, and is actually embarrassed by people making a fuss over him, but I figure my blog won't cause him too much discomfort. So today I wish him a very happy birthday!  Jared you are amazing.  I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment