Jul 10, 2011

The Happiest Place on Earth!



No, this is not a post about Disneyland, although I love Disneyland, this is a post about my favorite place to be-Island Park, ID.  My grandparents finished this cabin right around the time that I was born, and all my life that is the main place we have gone for vacations.

I have so many memories associated with the cabin.  It is not big or fancy. It fact it is quite small and simple, but maybe that is why I like it so much.  It provides the necessities, while allowing you to drink in all the beauties around you. It is a place where I have always felt peace, and especially close to my Heavenly Father.  I love that now it is my children's favorite place to be as well. 




I love the breathtaking scenery.  I love to sit at the lake especially early in the morning.  I love taking walks around the island loop.  I love the smell! Especially right after a rain storm. 
Love the moon reflecting in the lake.
I love eating at the cabin!  There is always an abundance of fantastic food.  Breakfasts are always especially good, and my Dad has to cook.  You can tell him to sit down, but he just won't.  Don't you love his apron?





I love watching the wildlife.  Moose are common friends up there.  This mother and her babies decided to cool off in the sprinkler right behind the cabin. 
Squirrels and chipmunks are everywhere.  I can sit and watch them eat peanuts off a stump right outside the window forever.  I love to wake up to the sound of the squirrels chattering and birds chirping.  Once I even got a squirrel to eat a peanut right out of my hand. 

Sometimes we rent or borrow four wheelers, boats or  jet skis.
My Dad going for a spin on the jet ski.  


One of the best memories ever, was when my brother-in-law, Daken, took my Mom for a ride on the jet ski. He promised her that she would not get wet, so she reluctantly agreed.  Well, guess what?  He dumped them both in the lake.  He says it wasn't on purpose, but....
Ashley and cousin- David
A brilliant idea to try to pull the canoe behind the jet ski!

Ok, maybe not so brilliant!
Brilliant or not, Tony couldn't stop laughing. 
Most of the time we just swim in the somewhat mossy, and extremely cold lake.

The kids have loved the lake from the time they were little.
Tony is usually the first to dive in, or try something new.  One evening he and Daken convinced Daken's two oldest boys to jump in fully clothed.  Of course Tony was one of the first to go in, but all 4 of them did it.
There is nothing like jumping in the first time in the frigid lake.  It literally takes your breath away.  Yet we all do it again and again.  Even though you might be left with a nice mossy green residue on your skin.

Jared takes after his father, when it comes to trying new things.

Another thing I love, is how close it is to Yellowstone National Park.  Absolutely spectacular place, if you haven't been there, you should go!
I'd have to say that the absolute best part is spending time with family.  You wouldn't believe how many people we can squeeze into this tiny cabin.  In this picture Tony, Alan, and Scott had a fruity pebbles eating contest.  Not sure if Tony is laughing or crying, but Alan eventually won.

The new porch addition, just another place to spend more time together and make room for more people to eat.

This is from our most recent trip. 
Perhaps the true personalities of the cousins are more apparent here.

2 comments:

  1. Island Park is dear to my heart as well. Many great memories! I'm so glad to see your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful!! I miss that place! my heart is, and always will be there.

    ReplyDelete