Oct 26, 2011

Middle of the Week

Have you ever been glad that it was Wednesday because that meant that the week was almost over so you could enjoy the weekend?  Yeah I think we all do that...I was thinking today that maybe I should be grateful for every day that I am given, instead of just the weekends.  Some days are better than others always, but my attitude about each and every day is always in my control.  So I am, at least for today, going to be grateful for every day! 

I wonder how many people think I am strange when they see me tearing  up while exercising and listening to my iPod.  Just in case you were wondering if you saw me today-I was listening to General Conference, and I just couldn't help it. 

I have been thinking about our trip to Zion's still, and thinking how the experience we had contained so many metaphors for life.  I have thought of many, but I will bore you with only one...Jared and I hiked the narrows.  It was cold and the water was even colder.  The initial pain I felt stepping into the cold water was intense.  My desire to see what there was to see made me push on through the pain and the cold.  My efforts were rewarded, as I was awestruck by the beauties that I beheld.  I felt so insignificant and small gazing up at the towering rock walls around me. Soon I forgot about how cold it was and was just drinking in all that there was to see.  I was thinking this was kind of like life.  Often we give up when there is pain involved or at least think that we can't go on.  Trials and challenges are constantly before us, and we have to learn to live through the pain.  Sometimes the rewards are not as immediate in life as they were on this hike, but the rewards are there, and our pain is or will be swallowed up in Christ.  As I was listening to Elder Uchtdorf's talk from conference, and thinking about my experience in the Narrows-this paragraph stood out to me.
And while we may look at the vast expanse of the universe and say, “What is man in comparison to the glory of creation?” God Himself said we are the reason He created the universe! His work and glory—the purpose for this magnificent universe—is to save and exalt mankind. In other words, the vast expanse of eternity, the glories and mysteries of infinite space and time are all built for the benefit of ordinary mortals like you and me. Our Heavenly Father created the universe that we might reach our potential as His sons and daughters.
Perhaps this is why I love nature so much-I feel like when I am out in nature I have a direct and unhindered connection to my Heavenly Father.  

Just FYI-try pumpkin bagels from Einsteins. Oh my goodness! So yummy.  Now I am just trying to figure out why I haven't had one before. (Be careful with the box from Einsteins though, cuts from cardboard hurt much worse than paper cuts.)

No comments:

Post a Comment