Oct 3, 2011

General Conference

Don't you just love Pres. Monson's smile? (Photo from Deseret News)
I have to say that my two most favorite weekends of the year are General Conference weekends.  Ever since I can remember life stopped in our homes so that we could  watch General Conference on Saturday and Sunday.  We would gather together as a family and listen to the words.  I was taught as a small child to honor and respect and most importantly follow the prophet's counsel that we would receive.  My Dad would quiz us on who the apostles were and I also knew who most of the quorum of the seventy were.  I loved listening to LeGrand Richards.  I remember him covering the little light on the pulpit that was telling him his time was up. I loved the sparkle in Mark E. Peterson's eyes.  I loved Pres. Kimball's scratchy voice.  I remember my life being changed as a teenager by Bruce R. McConkie's talk on the Savior right before he died.  I always looked forward to Thomas S. Monson speaking because I loved that he told stories that even a young child could learn from, plus he was so young.  Now as he is old, and I have grown up with him, I still love him.  Although I feel he has changed since becoming the President of the Church, I  love the way he teaches in parables.  I love his sense of humor, his facial expressions, and I feel of the love he has for all of Heavenly Father's children.

When I was still young, my oldest sister was coming home from college for conference.  My Mom made her a special dinner of homemade noodles, rolls and orange jello with whipped cream and mandarin oranges.  That became a conference tradition that is still served every conference now with the extended family.  Each one of my children is as excited for conference weekend as I am.  We gather our kids together and watch conference together on Saturday and Sunday.  We try to avoid scheduling anything that would prevent us from watching the sessions live.  The kids come home from college to join us because this is such a big deal to us. (lest you think we are perfect or anything...there is usually some kind of fight going on or, this conference my 18 year old daughter and 14 year old son were writing on each other, often someone is napping as well).

We have established some traditions associated with conference, I already mentioned the delicious meal, but we have a few more.  On Saturday evening, all the son-in-laws, the grandsons that are old enough and my Dad attend Priesthood then go out to eat together at Robintino's after the session ends.  This is grandpa's treat, and the boy's anxiously await their 12th birthday so they can join the group.  Grant told my on his birthday, only two more years and he can go.  The girl's and young boys get together for a light meal and visiting while the men are gone.  On Sunday after the second session we have the delicious noodles at my Mom's house.  Then we all gather in their basement and share our favorite part of conference, or something that we have learned.  All the children participate, and it has really helped so that I don't even have to tell my kids to listen, because they are already listening for something to share.    I am often surprised by what they like or what stands out to them.

This conference was just the spiritual uplifting that I needed, and the first talk given in conference addressed one of my concerns that I had.  Amazing how these inspired men and women through the guidance of the spirit can speak directly to us-give us our own personal epistles.  So many great talks-can't wait to start reading them when they show up online later this week.
The girl's enjoying noodles last April conference (photo by Mike Schouten)

No comments:

Post a Comment