Sep 24, 2011

Yet Another Football Post

Yes I know it's another football post, but let's face it folks it is who I am.  My Dad didn't have any sons to instill his love of sports in, so he had to do it with his daughters.  Although some of us are more into it than others.  I could watch football all day on Saturday-doesn't matter who's playing.  Alas, I never have the time to do that, but I could.  (Just for the record my Dad's love of baseball didn't stick with me, going to a game is cool, but watching it on TV...I'd rather have a tooth pulled.)

After BYU's embarrassing loss last Saturday night, I have been pondering what it means to be a fan.  Of course there has been much criticism of players and coaches from people all over this week.  People saying we couldn't come back after a loss like that, people deciding that new coaches are no good, etc.  It made me think-what kind of fan am I? (Just a little disclaimer this is the kind of fan I am, I don't expect others to feel the same way as me or even to agree with me.) I am a fan who doesn't believe in pre-season hype.  I want to see it on the field.  I am strangely and sometimes unrealistically optimistic after a bad game.  I am a fan who is there for the opening kick off and stays until the time runs out.  I faithfully watch the games at home unless I have church meetings or my kids have something (yes church and family come first, in case you were concerned).  I am a fan who never boos my team, even if I am fighting mad with the way they are playing.  I am a fan who believes in giving a kid a chance, even if he hasn't lived up to expectations yet.  I am a fan who thinks new coaches should be given a few more games to get it put together.  And I am a fan win or lose.  Don't get me wrong though, I much prefer winning!

So, game time last night, I was so hoping they could come back.  First half was not looking good, but second half the whole team stepped up.  There were some mistakes made, and a lot of work is obviously still needed, but overall they did what they had to to get the win.  Oh and how about that 93 yard kick off return?  That was a thing of beauty. Totally changed the game around.  I feel like we have a long way to go to be good, but the effort was there. I am proud of my cougars.  Hopefully we can get better each week.

Funny little side note: Grant went with Tony to the game last night.  I was worried that he would be disappointed if we lost, so I told him that Tony didn't think we would win.  He looked at me and said, "I don't believe Dad."  Turns out he was right.

No comments:

Post a Comment