Aug 19, 2011

National Parks Tribute

Old Faithful at Yellowstone-2011
Did you know that there are nearly 400 National Park units, now that includes battlefields, monuments, buildings and other historical sights.  There are 53 national parks like Yellowstone, and Zion's.  Yellowstone was the first National Park, and I started going there about as soon as I could walk I think.  I have been there many times, and find it an extraordinarily remarkable place.  Absolutely fascinating.  In the more recent years we have visited a few more of these parks, but sadly my total is only at 6 of the 53.  I have found each one stunning or magnificent or breathtaking.  I would like to visit all 53 at some point (along with going to Europe, Israel, and any other place full of history and cool things to see-I would travel constantly if I could just figure out how to pay for it.)  Looking over the list of the nearly 400 different places I realized I have been to 30 or more of them as well.  I find nature amazing.  I love reading about how rock formations happen, and I marvel at their beauty. You know the little brochures that they give you with all the information about the national park and it's geology-yeah I read those cover to cover.  I feel a closeness to my Heavenly Father when I am out appreciating the beauties of nature.  I also love history and many of the National Monuments, etc are historically based.  I don't agree with all that our government does, but I am grateful that there is a system in place to protect and preserve these historical and natural treasures!
The yellow rocks of these canyons are why Yellowstone got it's name. 

Most recent trip to Yellowstone-August 2011 in front of the Grotto Geyser

Grotto Geyser after it started to erupt-2011
The only bear I have ever seen in Yellowstone
Bryce Canyon

Our third National Park trip to Bryce Canyon was one of my all time favorite family vacations!
Grand Canyon-yes it was cold in April in Arizona!

View from Ooh Aah Point in the Grand Canyon-perfectly named
Delicate Arch-Arches National Park
The extended family made the trip to Arches-we camped and the whole bit. I am not a camper, but I loved Arches!
Redwoods National Park last summer-no picture can do these trees justice!

More Redwoods
(missing are photos from Zion's National Park.  Those pictures were taken before digital cameras, and I was too lazy to scan them in.)

No comments:

Post a Comment