Aug 21, 2011

Back to School Blues

I know a lot of people are excited to send their kids back to school, but I am not.  I am feeling quite melancholy about it actually.  I have no idea where the summer went, and I am not ready to start back into the whole routine of school and homework.  Maybe part of my sadness comes in sending not one, but two kids to college this year.  I have loved every minute of having all five of my children at home this summer.  So I thought I would make a pro and con list about going back to school to see if it would cheer me up.
PROS
  • I get more accomplished when the kids are in school
  • We do a much better job at having family prayer, scripture study and FHE during school
  • The kids get to learn
  •  Not so much TV time to monitor
  • Football season comes with the start of school
CONS
  • Homework, homework, homework
  • Two kids in Junior High
  • Expensive-school fees, sports fees, madrigal fees, school clothes, shoes, getting 2nd child supplied for college, college housing, tuition, books, and all the other expenses of college
  • Only three kids at home
  • No drivers at home
  • Carpools
  • Getting non-morning kids out the door for school
  • Routine of school doesn't allow for sleeping in or staying up late (one night this summer we all went to get smoothies at 10pm, never happens during the school year)
  • Missing my oldest two desperately
  • What if one or both of my oldest two daughters date someone seriously...not sure I am ready for that
  • Less time to enjoy being with my kids
Ok this did not help at all.  It will all be good though, and I am grateful for the opportunities that my kids have to learn and grow that school and college provide. (I just have to keep telling myself that!)

1 comment:

  1. Annette, I am glad to see someone who feels the way I do about Summer and School. I have a feeling it is going to get harder and harder to send them back every fall. It's wonderful to see though that your mother heart strings are tied to them so strongly. Love that.

    ReplyDelete