Aug 7, 2011

17 Miracles

Tony and I went to see this movie on Friday night.  I loved it, although I was teary eyed within minutes of it starting.  I have done a lot of reading about the Marin and Willie Handcart Companies, so the stories are familiar to me.  I am always stunned by their strength and especially their faith.  I always wonder if I would sacrifice as much for the the gospel.  The movie portrays several of the miracles that happened on this groups particularly difficult trek west.  Some might ask why were these people asked to suffer so much, why weren't they blessed for coming to Zion liked they were asked to do?  We can always complain and wonder why we are asked to suffer and experience trials, or we can be faithful like those early pioneers who kept going amidst death and and horrible conditions.  Truly the Lord was with them, just as He is always with us particularly when we are struggling the most. 

I am grateful for the example of the pioneers in my own family.  Thomas E. Ricks, who is mentioned in the movie as a rescuer, is one of my great grandfathers.  There were many others though, all of whom have left a legacy of faith that constantly inspires me.  I think of my great grandmother who supported her three young children, one who was my Grandpa, while her husband was called to serve a mission.  If she could do that faithfully certainly I can faithfully support my husband while he serves in his calling without complaint.  I think of my in laws who are pioneers in their own right, being the first members of the church in their families.  Who have dealt with persecution from their families and have had to blaze their own trail.  I am grateful that they taught their son to live the gospel.  Life is never easy, it will always be full of challenges, but we can press forward with faith just like the early pioneers who knew that there was no sacrifice to great for the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment