Nov 8, 2011

Catholic Funeral Mass

My Uncle Joe

I attended a Catholic funeral mass today for my uncle who passed away last week.  I have never been to any kind of service in a Catholic church before, and it was interesting.  I appreciated learning more about their beliefs and customs. (All the standing up and down would help you to not get sleepy too) I liked that they called the funeral a celebration, a celebration of a life well lived. My Uncle Joe was a rancher from Wyoming.  He was a smart and honest man who I learned today could beat anyone at a game of cards, could finish a crossword puzzle without cheating, and who sincerely cared about people.

My uncle was a Catholic, and my aunt is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  The funeral was held at the Catholic church in town, and the luncheon was provided by the Catholic women and the Relief Society at the Stake Center close by.  I thought it was cool to see a community work together to honor a great man-after all we are all God's children.

Seeing many of my Dad's relatives there today reminded me yet again of the good people that they are.  People who aren't consumed by worldly cares.  People who would give you the shirt off their backs.  People who when they ask you how you are, really want to know how you are.  I have never been overly fond of the small town and area of Wyoming that my Dad grew up in (and I am still not-it's freezing there!!), but they know how to love and care about people.  My Dad's sisters and brother are the best kind of people you will ever meet.  I am grateful to call them family.

No comments:

Post a Comment