Jan 17, 2013

Report on last years goals

We are now 17 days into January, and I am still working out what goals I want to set.  You see once I commit them to paper then they become binding...well at least I have to try to do it.  I always use to view goals as deeply discouraging because it seemed I never fully accomplished them.  I see goals differently now.  For example let's say your goal was to read the scriptures every day for the year.  Instead of reading 365 days, you read 280.  You failed right?  NO!! You read 280 days.  I believe discouragement is one of Satan's biggest tools for so many of us.  If he can just get us focusing on all of our shortcomings, instead of focusing on the improvement we have made we could easily give up.  Just recently two people I care about have expressed discouragement over this very sort of thing.  If only they could see the massive amount of good they do and have accomplished. I think it is good to be a little dissatisfied with ourselves because we always want to be striving to be better, but caution is needed.  I have often been one to be too hard on myself, I am learning though.  I love this quote that I found last year on pinterest.  I am putting it here again, because I for one need reminding.
 So with that thought in mind, I set some goals for myself last year.  Here is my progress report-
 WILL DO:

  • Read the Book of Mormon all the way through.  (This one is always on my list, the day is just better when I read from it's pages.)
  • Attend the temple 4 times a month 
  • Read at least two volumes of the Mortal Messiah
  • Finish Personal Progress and receive my second Young Women's medallion
  • Scrapbook pictures from 2011
LIKE TO DO:
  • Read at least 3 classics this year
  • Read Pres. Monson's biography
  • Finish Ashley's scrapbooks, Arches scrapbook, and another year of printed pictures
  • Paint Jared's room
  • Paint main floor bathroom/laundry room
  • Paint the deck
The ones crossed out I did.  Let me tell you about my goal to attend the temple 4 times a month.  I didn't make it 4 times.  I only averaged 3 times a month.  Did I fail?  I don't think so.  I went to the temple more times in 2012, than I ever have before in a single year.  That is an accomplishment.  Did I learn some things about myself? Yes.  I see where I can improve.

I think life is always a strugglefest, but the trick is to keep fighting that natural man.  Most important though is to remember what it says in Phillipians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." I think of when my kids were little and my days were spent chasing them.  My goals had to be simple.  Like-keep the kids from hurting each other, mostly.  Keep the kids from burning down or destroying the house, mostly. Shower every day.  My personal goals were pretty limited as my personal time was limited. I tried to always make time for scripture reading and prayer, FHE and the like, but it was always short and simple.  I promised myself that when the kids were older I would use more of my time for study and learning.  Now my kids are older.  No time like the present to keep those promises! So as I set my goals for this year, my desire is to continue to fulfill that promise I made to myself. (And to finish up those stupid painting projects, because by next year I am sure there will be something else that needs to be painted!)

No comments:

Post a Comment