Jan 11, 2013

Blizzards, books and birthdays

So in all my life living in Utah, I remember one snow day (a day they close school because of snow).  This doesn't mean that it doesn't ever snow in Utah, it just means that for the most part we handle it well with plows and such.  Well yesterday afternoon, just as I was leaving the doctors office, it started snowing. Not just cute little peaceful flakes, but blizzard like snow.  You know the kind where you can only see a few feet in front of you? That kind.  Well it continued to snow like that all evening and into the night.  By 5:30am we had 18 or so inches of snow with it still coming down.  At 5:45 we got a call that school had been cancelled for the entire district.  It is now Friday evening as it continues to snow, although gratefully at a slower rate.  I would say we easily have 2 feet of snow out there.  The snow plow finally made it down our street this afternoon, so since work and school were cancelled we went off to the gym at Tony's work. (Lexie talked us into going, she is determined to be physically fit by the time March rolls around so it doesn't slow her down when she arrives in Australia.) We have lived in our house for over 14 years, and we have never had a snow storm like this one.  I think it's kind of fun, and it also brings sparkling clean air to breath deeply into my lungs.  Last year we never had winter and I missed it.  One of the reasons I love Utah is the 4 distinct seasons.  It truly is a winter wonderland right now.

That would be our driveway, after opening the garage this morning.
This week we also celebrated Tony's birthday.  We went to the Salt Lake Temple with Lexie and then took the whole family (minus Ashley-yes we missed you!) to Crown Burger.  You know how when your kids are little and half the food you order is wasted.  Well that doesn't happen anymore.  Everyone didn't finish their food, but Jared took care of everyone's leftovers after polishing off his own.  It is nice to be able to go to a restaurant now, and have all the kids stay in their seats and even be mostly appropriate.  I guess that happens when your youngest is 11.  After dinner we had Tony's favorite cake, which the kids insisted on putting all 45 candle on.  By the time they got them all lit, the cake had wax all over it.  Tony is a great father and husband, couldn't have asked for better.


I am still trying to figure out my goals for this year.  I feel like I accomplished a lot last year by setting some specific goals.  One of my goals was to read three classics, and a few other books.  Which I did.  So although I haven't decided anything specific yet, I decided I might as well tackle the monstrous volume of Les Miserables.  It has been on my shelf for awhile, but I finally decided to pick it up.  I am about 400 pages into it so far (the unabridged version), and I love it.  Well most of it.  Victor Hugo does love to give detail.  Perhaps someday I will understand why we needed almost 60 pages to describe the battle of Waterloo which happened before the book took place.  It was interesting, but really don't we just want to know what happened after Jean ValJean escapes from Javert? Still trying to decide if I want to see the move...

No comments:

Post a Comment