Feb 4, 2013

Drivers Beware?

So my son turned 16 in January, and on Thursday, his father pulled him out of school to go get his driver's license since he has play practice until after the place closes. Then of course the very next day he wanted to drive himself to the school for practice.  Now in every day life I am not a worrier.  I don't stress about my kids and what they are doing constantly.  But letting them drive is a totally different ball game for me, and the funny thing is I love that they can drive themselves and relieve me of some of my taxi duties.  Alexis was telling Jared that for the first little while he would have to text me to let me know that he had arrived at his desired destination safely.  Jared was thinking that since he was the third to get his license that I would be more laid back about it now.  So they came upstairs to talk to me as I was kind of confined to my room for most of last week (another story for another day maybe).  Jared wanted to drive to the school, first solo driving experience, and was asking permission to do so.  I consulted with Tony for his opinion, which was that our son was the most cautious teenage boy driver that he had ever seen, and that he was fine with him driving our good car to the school. (Old falling apart teenage driving car was still in Logan with Ashley)  So I relented, and let him drive to the school, making him promise to text me as soon as he got there.  Lexie laughed and said, I told you Jared.  (Just in case you were wondering he arrived without incident).

I have been reflecting on why the solo driving makes me nervous when most things don't.  At first I was thinking it was because of all the other crazy drivers on the roads, and worrying about the large weapon everyone is moving around in, but I think it is more than that.  It feels almost like a rite of passage, or that they are moving to a stage of life where I am no longer so essential to them.  Yes I am concerned about their safety, but perhaps somewhere deep down it is a fear of letting them go.  It's all a part of life I guess and after another week or so, I probably won't require Jared to text me any more, but for now it helps me through this process.

Jared truly is a great young man.  I love that he likes to talk to me, and even though I often am sleep deprived because of it, I am so grateful that he feels comfortable confiding in me.  He went on his first date three days after he turned 16.  As I quizzed him about appropriate behavior on a date, and how he should treat a girl, he wasn't rolling his eyes.  He said keep asking me questions, I don't want to do something stupid.  I will just continue to hope and pray that his desire to not do something stupid continues to be his goal when he gets behind the wheel of a car.

No comments:

Post a Comment