Jul 12, 2012

Little Piece of Heaven


With all the camps, jobs, trek, and our trip to see Tony's parents, I was afraid I wouldn't get to the cabin at all this summer.  There was no way Tony could go.  With all the time he has taken off for camps and trek and our vacation, there is nothing left.  But when the kids suggested we just take off for a few days while Tony was at priest camp, I couldn't come up with a good reason not to.  We weren't able to leave until about 9pm on Wednesday night after Lexie got off work.  We drove in the dark the whole way listening to the playlist Ashley made that included all the soundtracks from High School Musical, a little Justin Bieber and Jonas Bros, music forbidden when Tony is with us.  (Never fear we did listen to Tony approved music too!)  As most everyone was asleep Lexie and I had a good talk, and as we got closer to the cabin she tried to not give into her "irrational fears"  of animals lurking in the darkness.  (Good thing we didn't know until morning that there is a bear on the island) We got to the cabin safely at about 1:30 in the morning, silly as to be expected that late, but traveling without incident. 

It was COLD when we arrived, the thermometer in the car said 38 degrees.  Honestly it felt wonderful.  It has been so hot and dry this summer-it's awful!  I am not a hot weather person so escaping to the cool mountain air was a welcome reprieve.  We were only able to stay until Saturday evening, but it was so nice to just relax and enjoy the scenery that never ceases to thrill me.  We swam in the cold, mossy lake, we ate good food, watched movies and played a game or two.  My parents and two of my nieces joined us as well.  I just wish we could have had Jared and Tony with us.  The hardest thing about going to the cabin is having to leave.  The trip was too short, but I am grateful we decided to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment