Jul 24, 2012

Faith and Pioneers

I love history!  I love reading and learning about the history of our country and of the church.  I love reading about the brave men and women who made the freedoms that I enjoy possible.  I love learning about those who sacrifice everything for the gospel of Jesus Christ.  Celebrating Pioneer Day has always meant something to me because I was taught of my ancestors who crossed the plains and sacrificed so much.  I have loved learning from others and for myself of these brave women and men who were willing to sacrifice all for the gospel. I love going to New York and Nauvoo and other historic places as I feel the spirit of those that have gone before.  I have always wished that I could go back in time and be with them, live amongst them and learn from them.  ( I would just like to bring along my flushing toilets and showers please).  I would love to serve a mission in Nauvoo and share with all the visitors my love for those who have gone before.

Last week Tony, Jared and I participated in Trek with our stake.  For four days we pushed/pulled handcarts through dirt and rocks, up and down hills.  We walked over 30 miles in blistering heat, and had an opportunity to get a small glimpse of the life of those who walked across the country to get to Zion.  We were asked to choose an ancestor to walk for.  I chose to walk for Ann Molyneaux Alston who was so committed to the gospel that she was willing to send her two oldest sons, one ten the other eight, with friends to Zion so that her in-laws could not stop her from going with her children.  Imagine sending two young boys to unknown lands not knowing if you would ever see them again.  Then she came from England the next year with her three youngest children, alone.  What a joyful reunion they must have had in Utah when she was reunited with her sons and her father and family.   I thought about her and her faith as we pulled the handcarts silently on Thursday morning, and then again as we pulled the handcarts up a huge hill with just the girls in our stake.  As I felt of her spirit and her faith, I felt a reassuring warmth that I too could have done what she did.  None of us have an easy road in life.  The pioneers forged ahead not knowing what the immediate future held for them, but trusting in a loving Heavenly Father and Savior and the promised blessings in the eternities.  Life is like that really for all of us.  We don't know what challenges and trials we will face, but we move forward  with faith, knowing that the Lord will support us.  I often hear people say they could not have done what the pioneers did, but after watching our amazing youth participate in Trek, I thought there isn't one of these kids who couldn't  or wouldn't do exactly what the pioneers did if it was asked of them.
I came home from Trek dirty, tired and looking much like the pioneers in 17 miracles. ( I have already lost a layer of skin and I used sunscreen!) I also came home with a renewed sense of gratitude for those who sacrificed for me to have the gospel, and a stronger commitment to follow the prophet. Those people who crossed the plains knew their Savior and were willing to go wherever He called them.  I too in a small way experienced some miracles on trek, enough to reaffirm to me that I have a Heavenly Father who is mindful of me as well.
Those dark clouds moved right over us on Friday afternoon that brought winds and a thunderstorm.  The rain lasted for awhile, but moved out in time for dinner and testimony meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment