Feb 7, 2012

Valentine's Tradition

Many years ago, my sister gave me this cute valentine's story about a little girl who made sacks for her family before Valentine's Day and hangs them on their doors.  Then each day she would make valentines for each one and  put them in their sacks.  The father thinks it is so cool that she would do this for everyone.  His wife then asks him how many valentines he has made for his little girl.  He feels awful and makes her a bunch of valentines to put in her sack.  I got this story, complete with great pictures, and since that time we have read it for FHE a couple weeks before Valentine's Day and then made sacks to hang on our doors for an activity.  Each night I try to put something in everyone's sack and a little treat.  It is fun to watch their excitement for this simple little thing.  I was talking to Alexis, and she said she wanted a sack too and asked if I could just save up the little treats and give them to her when I see her next.  Now the point of this story and lesson is to think of others, and that doesn't always work out as well as I would like it too, but even if they only think of others once it better than nothing right?  It's a fun little tradition and a pretty simple way for me to let my kids know how much I care about them.
Pictures from the story.  Tony loves this one as the Dad is excited to get home and see what is in his sack!

Of course no family home evening is complete without a treat.  I have always like the peanut butter/Hershey kiss cookies, but how cute is it to put a heart on them for Valentine's Day? Thanks pinterest for the idea. (I may or may not have eaten one this morning already before breakfast even.)

1 comment:

  1. you are awesome Annette, this is so sweet, no pun intended

    ReplyDelete