Jun 17, 2013

Father's Day

I realize this post is a day late, but that seems to be the way I work these days.  I am blessed to have an amazing father, who showed me by example what a father should be.  I continue to feel blessed with a husband who is a wonderful father to our children. I found some pictures that show some of the things I love about Tony in his role as father-honestly there is really nothing more attractive (I thought about using the word sexy just to make my kids who might read this cringe...) to me than when I see him caring for our children.  I love that he gets more emotional and worked up about our missionary daughter than I do.  I found a few pictures that show some of my favorite things that Tony does with our kids, that also demonstrate what I feel makes a good Dad.
1. Makes time for them.  When we were first married Tony went to school and worked full time.  Free time was almost impossible to find, but he found ways to make it work.  Ashley loved to sit on his lap while he was doing homework, and for those few precious minutes she would hold still.  I am grateful that he recognizes that taking those minutes make all the difference.
2. Teaches them to work.  The best way to teach a child to work is to work with them.  I love this picture of them washing the car, that of course turned into a water fight.  The work got done, and everyone had fun in the process.
3. Plays with them.  Tony is just a big kid.  He loves having fun with the kids.  Whether it is something big like going to Disneyland or going skiing, or something simple like jumping on the tramp with them or wrestling.  The kids always want Tony around because he brings the FUN!
What could be more fun than everyone sitting on Dad?  Dog pile on Dad was always a favorite at our house. 
5. Sharing passions.  Tony loves movies, and has passed that on to his children.  I love this picture with them all bundled up together watching a movie together.  He has even participated in High School Musical marathons with his daughters, even though he complained that he was losing brain cells the whole time.
6.  Loving.  He always noticed when little legs had gone as far as they could.  All the kids have enjoyed rides on Dad's shoulders.  Grant rode on Tony's shoulders for over 13 miles of hiking through Bryce Canyon, and here in Yellowstone too.  All the kids are too big for shoulder rides now, but he still knows when they need him.  Sometimes it is just a hug when their heart is hurting, other times it is giving father's blessings even in the middle of the night when needed.
7. Encourages goal setting and achieving.  Ashley and Jared both decided they wanted to run a half marathon.  So what did he do.  He ran with them (helps that he is crazy, and loves running).  He ran with one of them the whole way, and when he finished and realized that the other one hadn't finished yet, he went back and found them and finished up with them too.  He is always encouraging the kids to go after their goals, and sometimes even pushing when they don't want to be pushed.
8. Supportive.  He goes to every meet and tournament.  He can be found at multiple choir concerts and piano recitals.  He has attended every musical they have been in.  If the kids are doing it he is there for them. 

Lastly (sorry no picture for this one), he shows them by example the importance of loving the Lord and serving.  He leads out in our home to make sure that scripture study and family prayer always happen.  He honors his priesthood, and shows the kids the joy that can be found by living the gospel. 

Hope all the father's out there had a great day yesterday.  I suspect that no father feels that they have done or do enough, but to me all that matters is that they are trying.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment