Aug 30, 2012

The End


Our last day in New York City started out raining, but we were off to the Statue of Liberty rain or shine.  The rain luckily lifted as soon as we were on the ferry, but it brought with it a much appreciated drop in temperatures.  The walk in the downpour with my leaking umbrella was well worth the cooler weather.  It is quite the site to be on the ferry as you approach Lady Liberty.  I love this country, and even though the statue was made in France, it is still a symbol of our country.  It was fun to take the kids there and then to walk around Ellis Island.  I am grateful to live in this country, grateful for the opportunities it provides, and grateful that my ancestors came her many years ago even before Ellis Island days.

Breanna's Titanic Moment
After our somewhat rocky ride back, we took a little walk down Wall Street, took the obligatory picture with the bull, and walked through Trinity Church. (Hello, it was also under scaffolding! Don't  you think they could arrange to not have the two churches I was going to show my kids under scaffolding?) Next we went to the 9/11 Memorial. This is definitely a worthwhile stop.  I will never forget that day. I realize there has been some controversy about rebuilding in this area, but I think it's great.

We stopped for a quick lunch at The Shake Shack.  My verdict for the famed burger place-quite tasty!  I was not disappointed.  We liked the Black and White shake so much, that we have already tried to recreate it here at home. Then we were off to the Red Sox/Yankee's game.  I am not a real baseball fan, but going to a game is a lot of fun. They still sell cracker jacks, but we opted for cotton candy and popcorn instead. Tony was happy since the Red Sox won.

We took the subway back to Flushing where Tony's sister lives.  We spent the night with Laura and her family and then we left for the airport at 5:20am.  Thankfully our flights were on time on the way home, even a little ahead of schedule. Wow, what a trip.  After all the months of planning, I always wonder if it will live up to my expectations.  It did.  I think we all had a great time.  Although I loved all of the places we visited, the best part is sharing it with my family.  Being with my family is like having a little bit of heaven on earth.  This trip is a memory I hope to always cherish.

No comments:

Post a Comment